The emergence of new technologies has changed consumer behavior. As a result, customer service practices in e-commerce have also evolved.
Is your online store prepared to follow these transformations?
In order for your business to succeed in the digital environment, you need to understand the new way customers communicate and interact with businesses on the web.
With this in mind, here are some tips to improve your store’s SAC by aligning with the new consumer profile and needs.
How to modernize customer service in e-commerce
1 – Offer MultiChannel support
The time has already passed when an e-mail or a contact phone was enough for the consumer. Nowadays, customers expect to relate to the brand across all the communication platforms they use.
So if you’re looking to improve customer service on the customer in e-commerce, you need to go beyond that and offer different channels where your audience can get in touch with your brand.
In practice, this means offering, in addition to the possibility of contact via telephone and e-mail, also communication channels such as:
- Social networks.
- Chat online.
- Instant messaging via mobile (by WhatsApp, for example).
It is not enough to offer these possibilities of contact and not have a strategy to act on each of these platforms. When choosing which contact form your store will make available, take into account the preferences of your audience and also the possibilities that your business has – that is, if you can, in practice, take care of various channels.
Worse than not offering multiple channels is to offer and fail to account! If you are getting started, phone, email and social networking are a good starting point to take a step further in customer service in e-commerce.
2 – Provide content and tips that help the client
One of the main advantages that customers have when buying on the internet is that they have independence: they themselves research on the products and on the companies. In this sense, it is important that your online store also provides this autonomy to customers, giving them the possibility to solve the problems without having to contact you.
The best way to do this is by providing relevant information to your audience. In this sense, here are some strategies you can put into practice to improve customer service in e-commerce through content:
- Frequently asked questions page, answering the main questions about the store, about the products and about the online purchase process.
- Blog with product usage tips and brand comparisons.
- Testimonials from customers who have already bought the products in your store.
- Explanatory videos with more information about the products.
3 – Listen and communicate with the client in social media
In the first tip we talked about the importance of presence in social networks so that your online store can offer multichannel communication. But that is such an important question that deserves a topic just for her!
To give you an idea:
- 46% of online consumers expect the brand to offer support via Facebook *.
- 88% of customers are less willing to buy from brands that do not respond to requests and complaints on social networks *.
- 61% of users seek to solve problems with brands through channels such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
It is indisputable : to have customer service in efficiency in e-commerce, it is crucial that your store is present and active on social networks – publishing content and answering customers .Having a strong presence on these platforms is no longer a differential, it is a mandatory issue for your business to be aligned with current consumer expectations.
4 – Have a history of customer interactions
Customizing communication with consumers is the best way to earn their trust. So having a history of the actions that customers have taken in your online store is an important step in modernizing customer service in e-commerce.
This history should contain data such as:
- What the customer bought.
- What you researched.
- What he put in the cart, but did not buy.
- About what you already complained about.
- What were your doubts in the past.
This information will be useful when the customer contacts your store because, with this history, it will be possible to direct the service.
For example :
Let’s say the customer contacted us to find out more information about a new model of mobile phone, and that same customer has already bought the old version of the same handset.Instead of making a generic presentation, it is possible to show the functions of the new model more directly, making a comparison with the model that it already has.
5 – Create a community for customers
With so many options on the web, customers are sure to choose to do business with the most secure and credible businesses. Customer service in e-commerce can help your brand pass that trust by building a close relationship with the public.
It is not because the contact is digital that it needs to be cold and distant! An interesting way to be around customers to answer their questions and requests is to create an online community of your brand, where consumers can interact with the store and also with other customers.
- This community can be developed on a social network – through a Facebook group, for example – or even on a page within your e-commerce site.
- The goal should be to pass relevant information about the products and the store and also answer customer questions in an environment favorable to the exchange of information and the strengthening of the relationship between your brand and your audience.
Did you like the tips? If you have any questions or comments on this topic, leave a comment below with your questions and considerations.